Sunday 24 July 2011

Review: Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

Rating:  7/10  
Read:  July of 2011
Recommended To:  Historical fiction fans, people interested in WWII & the Holocaust, those who like their tragedies with some light-hearted humour thrown in.
CategoriesFiction, Historical Fiction, Holocaust, Comedic-Drama

The story is the fictional account of a journey, taken by a man (also fictional; though also named Jonathan Safran Foer), to uncover the story behind a yellowing photograph taken during WWII, of his father and some other people, including  a woman who may or may not saved his father from the Nazis during the Holocaust, and who may or may not be named "Augustine", which is the only name that appears on the back.  The book follows Jonathan's attempt to locate Augustine, and to learn more about his grandfather, and where his family came from.  Jonathan is accompanied by an old man haunted by his own memories of the war, his grandson-turned-translator, whose appearance in the novel accounts for much of the comedy throughout, and a horny-but-lovable dog named Sammy Davis Junior, Junior.  Throughout the novel, the story of his journey to find Augustine is intertwined with Jonathan's imagined, eventful, and sordid account of his ancestors spanning back generations.

Personal Thoughts:

I was really torn when it came to rating this book.  I enjoyed it, but because it wasn't what I was expecting from the description, so I found myself a bit unsatisfied when all was said and done (or written and read, I suppose).  Sometimes, when you get an idea in your head of what something is going to be like, and it isn't what you originally thought it would be, you can't help but let that affect your opinion of it.  I might have enjoyed this more, if I didn't already have expectations.

Now, that's not to say I didn't like it.  It took a few pages to get used to the writing style, but once I did, it was a good, quick & easy read.  Jonathan Safran Foer's writing is colourful and energetic.  Writing with a blend of tragedy and comedy is hard, the timing and the weight of the mix are crucial, and Jonathan Safran Foer was able to pull it off gracefully.  In this way, I found it slightly reminiscent of Dave Eggers, but with a Tom Robbins sensibility, and a Douglas Coupland-esque mix of characters.

In the end, despite the memorable characters, and the almost-perfect blend of tragedy and comedy, I felt that it fell *slightly* flat.  I wasn't quite satisfied with the outcome, though I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that was disappointing.  It is clear from the beginning that they do not find Augustine, though in the end, that is really beside the point.  She is just the catalyst for the story that unfolds.  So, that is not what left me feeling unsatisfied, but rather I feel it was a bunch of little things that just built up through-out the book.  Frankly, I just felt like it could have been more than it was. 


Pros:
* Quick and easy read, while still being thought-provoking.
* It has some very touching, and sad moments, while never getting too melancholy.
* Fantastic blend of tragedy and comedy.
* I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever seen such a serious topic tackled in this kind of comedic manner.  It makes the book, and therefore the history behind it of WWII & the Holocaust, accessible to some people who might not normally be interested, or might usually find it too hard to read about.

Cons:
* It was a bit unsatisfying (as explained above). 
* At times I felt like some of the storyline, especially in relation to the "back story" of the ancestors, seemed to be a little ridiculous, and detracted a bit from the overall story.  I appreciated the comedic slant to it, but sometimes I felt like I just wanted those sections to wrap up so I could continue reading about the main plotline of searching for Augustine.  I felt like they sometimes were a sidetrack that felt unnecessary, and did not add much to the story overall.


MORE BY JONATHAN SAFRAN FOER:

No comments:

Post a Comment