Tuesday 26 July 2011

Review: Lucky by Alice Sebold

Rating:  9/10
Read:  2000 or 2001 & July, 2011
Recommended To:  Every woman and man; whether you have been a victim of sexual assault, know someone who has been assaulted, or have ever felt scared, alone, or terrified in a situation where you felt threatened, whether you find yourself within the pages, or just a better understanding of someone else you know, or people you don't know.
Categories:  Memoirs & Biographies, Triumph Over Trauma, Crimes & Criminals, Emotional

Alice Sebold is probably best known for her novel "The Lovely Bones", a best-seller turned blockbuster movie, in which the story that unfolds is told by a 14 year girl in the aftermath of her rape and murder.  In "Lucky", Alice Sebold reveals the details and aftermath of her own rape; as a college student, she was attacked in a park near campus, and brutally beaten and sexually assaulted.  Alice candidly opens up about her rape, the emotional aftermath and the effect it had on her life, as well as her pursuit of justice against her rapist.


Personal Thoughts

I will admit to being a bit of a "memoir-a-holic".  Despite that, rarely do I really love a memoir, or does one become one of my favourite books.  A lot of people have really interesting life stories, stories that *should* be documented, but the book falls short of being amazing simply because they aren't writers.  I can't blame them for that, but it is for that reason that, although I am drawn to the stories in many memoirs, and might find some emotional connection to them, I rarely love them.  The writing really needs to be good to capture me, even when it comes to a memoir.

I think that is one of the reasons that this memoir really stands out to me.  I can't remember exactly when it was that I first read it, and I couldn't recall the exact details of the story before I decided to read it again recently, but one thing stuck with me; I remember how it made me feel.  It moved me.  I found myself caught up in each moment as I read along, I remember getting upset at a particular part in the book that always stuck out to me; where a woman starts claiming she was Alice Sebold's "best friend" during college, though Alice didn't even recognize her (nor her Alice), I was so shocked that someone would try to appear cool-by-proxy for having known a rape victim.  I remember that the writing was exceptional, that Alice Sebold was a fantastic narrator of her own story, and that the story was told with candor and honesty.  

Despite all I remembered, I was not prepared to be just as moved the second time around.  The imagery of the rape itself, though hard to read, is powerful beyond belief.  She could have glossed over the details, but she bravely shared them, and it was an important part of the story.  It really adds to the emotional atmosphere of the book; the scene is present with you throughout the rest of the story, and experiencing the rest would not be the same without those details.  It is a hard book to read, as it should be; rape should never be an easy thing to read about, but I think it is an important book to read.

I won't even bother with a "Pro & Con" list as I usually do; I'm all pro with this book.  The only con is that it is hard to read, and some people might not be able to do it, but by opening up and sharing this traumatic and tragic experience, Alice Sebold is giving voice to millions of victims of sexual assault who, for whatever reason, can't share their own stories.

OTHER BOOKS BY ALICE SEBOLD:
   

No comments:

Post a Comment